Do You Take Fashion Advice From Men?

by Arash Mazinani on May 10, 2011

I was stood in H&M the other day waiting to try something on (I hate queuing for changing rooms but that’s another story..). While I was waiting I could see a girl holding up an item of clothing to her husband/boyfriend and asking him what he thought of it. Which again got me thinking about the general consensus with women taking style/fashion advice from a guy. Now I don’t mean a professional, such as an image consultant or someone that works in the fashion industry but rather just your average guy. So would you take advice from your boyfriend or husband? Or do you just ask them their opinion on clothes to be polite? If they did say they didn’t like something would that seriously put you off buying it, even if you did like it?

My girlfriend generally asks my opinion on items when she buys them, I’ll always chip in my 2 cents but I’m not sure if my opinion would actually sway her from actually buying it if she really liked the item. I have however seen plenty of cases where if a woman’s husband or boyfriend hasn’t liked what she was intending to buy she’s not bought it. This used to be particularly frustrating when working towards sales targets in retail. The lady would all in love with those Louboutin’s only for her husband to kill the dream by saying he didn’t like them. I personally think it was a ploy for him not to shell out a wad of cash on them.. but anyway..

I’d love to open it up to my lovely lady readers

Do you take fashion advice from men?

Would their opinion stop you from buying something you liked?

Answers on a postcard… or better yet in the comments section below.

asian man May 10, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Well if they decide not to buy it because of what the bf says, then they must value his opinion? Unless they come back later without him lol A guy will be very reluctant to pay for such an expensive pair of shoes like louboutins

Arash Mazinani May 11, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Tell me about it!

GRIT & GLAMOUR May 10, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I think I’m probably just like your girlfriend…Hubby’s opinion matters, but ultimately, if I LOVE something, I’m getting it no matter what anyone says. I do value my husband’s opinion, though, and we actually have similar taste. So sometimes I ask for his opinion just to change things up a bit and make him part of the whole fashion/shopping/blogging/style obsession that is my life.

You ask some great questions, Arash. Love it!
GRIT & GLAMOUR recently posted..Shots You Never Saw and What They Taught MeMy Profile

Arash Mazinani May 11, 2011 at 8:03 pm

I’m glad you like my questions I enjoy asking them and seeing what answers I get. I think that’s the best way to be really at the end of the day if you really love something then buy it!

Angga Heinrich May 10, 2011 at 2:36 pm

Just like every girl in the world probably LOL my hubby opinion does matter but when it comes to something that I like and cant get my hand out from it, I will definitely buy it, no matter what.
Angga Heinrich recently posted..Congratulations for Class of 2011My Profile

Arash Mazinani May 11, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Ha ha I knew you would! :-)

Courtney May 10, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I do value my fiance’s opinion but wouldn’t ever shop with him. I ask him if outfits I put together look good and he usually tells me if it looks “off.” Anything past that, I wouldn’t expect him to have much of an opinion on.
Courtney recently posted..What I’m Wearing When- The Shoe EditionMy Profile

Arash Mazinani May 11, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Great to here, I was genuinely intrigued as to how much input women’s other halves have in their looks.

Katharine May 10, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Depends on the man. My first boyfriend didn’t give a crap about style, so no. My brothers and my father, ditto. My ex-husband was brilliant, and often chose, out of the blue, things that suited me better in both looks and feeling than things I would have picked myself. (He was particularly good with jewellery.) I used to shop with him a lot. Current partner, yes, although he doesn’t like being asked usually, and it makes him uncomfortable if I make decisions based on his opinion. He does have good taste though.

Very individual thing. I wouldn’t ask my mother for style advice, either, as her entire fashion philosophy, like Gilda Radner’s, is based on what doesn’t itch and she hates what I wear.

Arash Mazinani May 11, 2011 at 8:06 pm

lol thanks for commenting Katherine, it’s interesting at how good your ex husband was at picking things out for you.

Fashion Limbo May 10, 2011 at 5:43 pm

hehe sooo agree with you and the whole trying to reach sales targerts. When I worked in Karen Millen we had said objectives, and it was sooooo frustrating to see a woman fall helplessly for a pair of shoes, or a bag, and then for the man to go, “nah, don’t like them” and that woman sadly let go of them. It never happened if it was a sexy dress she wanted, no matter the price, if the woman looked hot, the man smiled, the purchase was done ;)

I like to ask my man for advice, because he really has good taste, knows what I go for and we tend to agree on what is good or not. However, he hates, absolutely hates, leopard print… I love it. And I have several pairs of shoes in this print, some cardies… and anything I like basically. He will say he hates it, but if I like it, I’m getting it.
Fashion Limbo recently posted..Outfit – The Maxi Dress ConundrumMy Profile

Arash Mazinani May 11, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Yeah tell me about it, it’s sooooo frustrating especially when the guy gives a rubbish excuse or if the girl looks amazing in what she has on. Interesting as well if the item is a sexy number how quickly men’s opinions change lol.

Perdita May 10, 2011 at 7:16 pm

This is quite an interesting question because I have had two VERY different experiences with discussing fashion with my boyfriend/husband.

In my early 20s, I was engaged to a very controlling man. He would ‘tell’ me what to wear and his reaction to disobedience was not thuggish but rather shaming me (ie it was all psychological, usually suggesting I would look like a ‘slut’). Shopping with him was very stressful! After that relationship (thankfully) ended, I vowed never to take note of a boyfriend again…

However, when I met my husband, we hit it off because we had some shared interests (food, similar music, fashion). We dress very differently indeed, and can look like the ‘odd couple’ (he is classic mod/vintage, I am a 90s retro-indy girl grown old- so slightly 70s vintage with days of overt rock denim and kawaii pastels), however I do listen to him because he advises without being bossy. For example – I was looking at some pastel Melissa Anglomania shoes with skulls on- NOT his style at all, but he said things like ‘the heel’s right for you’, and ‘it’s not my my taste, but it’s goes with several things you have’.

So I do listen to men about clothing…but if someone used that in a disrespectful way the relationship or friendship wouldn’t have flourished anyway.
Perdita recently posted..Cat Out The Middleman- no-shop thriftingMy Profile

Arash Mazinani May 11, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Yeah that doesn’t sound very nice about your first partner. It’s good though you found someone that shares your taste in so many things.

THE-LOUDMOUTH May 11, 2011 at 1:58 am

This is all I have to say to women who won’t buy something because their boyfriend or husband doesn’t like it: WHY DO YOU CARE SO MUCH WHAT HE THINKS? HE’S ALREADY WITH YOU! HE LOVES YOU! HE THINKS YOU’RE HOT NO MATTER WHAT!

Zach doesn’t like anything I wear. If I took advice from him, I’d have to be naked all the time, which is illegal.
THE-LOUDMOUTH recently posted..No Paparazzi- Please!My Profile

Arash Mazinani May 11, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Really good points it’s a shame really but I have seen women not buy things they love because their partner’s don’t like it. Such a shame.

Marissa May 12, 2011 at 11:38 pm

Hahaha! Whenever I ask myself outloud what I should wear in the morning, that is always my boyfriend’s suggestion – nothing. :)
Marissa recently posted..Bag It- Tag ItMy Profile

Amielle May 11, 2011 at 5:53 am

It depends on which guy I’m with (be it friend, so, relative, etc.) because they’d all have their views of me that would be taken into consideration in that particular outfit/piece. Plus, taking into account how well they know me/my style and how well I know them/their tastes. In the end though, it would be how much I adore a piece. Their opinion would matter, but, in the end, if it was something they didn’t like vs. something I absolutely NEEDED, I’d buy it.

Arash Mazinani May 11, 2011 at 8:12 pm

lol yeah I think it definitely should be that way.

Mrs Bossa May 11, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Mr B and I have a three point clothing judgment system:

“It’s a bit ‘new you’” means I’m pushing the fashion envelope (eg harems, or avant garde shoes).
“It’s nice, that.” means I’m being my vintage-loving self.
A growl and a hug means he thinks I’m looking hot.

I do wear what I choose, but his reactions always intrigue me.

Arash Mazinani May 11, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Ha ha I love your three point system.

Madison May 11, 2011 at 7:03 pm

My bf has a pretty typical stylish Scandinavian style, though we have such different style from one another, (he’s more minimalist in his dress), I do ask him about some items— we both always ask each other actually. I think it’s good to bounce ideas off, since we’re both into clothes shopping, but ultumately it’s my decision! :) Arash, I like your questions, it’s always good to know what other male bloggers are pondering.

Arash Mazinani May 11, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I’m glad you like my questions I always enjoy reading the answers and these posts work best when you get a whole bunch of answers as well. I think when two people enjoy fashion then you trust each others opinions more like you said you can bounce ideas off each other.

Jamillah May 12, 2011 at 4:34 am

I do like asking 2 very important boys about certain items: boyfriend and brother. I actually have never had a bf that I could do this with and I LOVE IT! I don’t always listen…he thought my Navajo scarf looked a little Steven Segal and it’s like my fave winter scarf and don’t really get either of them started on my harem pants aka MC Hammer’s. But when I need a second pair of eyes on an item that I’m not quite sure is worth the price tag or if I’m loving it because it’s really interesting and kind of not seeing that it could be a little ugly then I ask these boys. But really they never have a say on an item I already know I like…I mean I’m all the opinion I need for that.

Arash Mazinani May 15, 2011 at 1:26 pm

lol thanks for your comment Jamillah!

Fashnlvr May 12, 2011 at 2:42 pm

I never take my husband shopping with me – EVER! First of all, it would be pure torture for him which in turn would make it pure torture for me. He fully admits that his taste is questionable. I will ask “How do I look?” and he is death-defyingly honest. If something isn’t working for me he will tell me.
Interesting post Arash – I love how you provoke conversation!

Arash Mazinani May 15, 2011 at 1:27 pm

Ha ha.. I don’t know if his honesty is necessarily a bad thing.. but I guess if his taste is questionable best to leave him at home when you hit the shops lol

Marissa May 12, 2011 at 11:34 pm

I absolutely do not take advice from my boyfriend when it comes to style. He’s great and all, but if it were up to him, I would live in jeans, a t-shirt, sneakers and no makeup. Yeah, I don’t understand it either, but he’s definitely of the less-is-more school of thought. In fact, he tends to hate anything that is too stylish, but too bad for him, because if I like it, I’m wearing it! :)

I’ve been seeing your name come up from all of my favorite bloggers recently, so I thought it was high time I paid you a vist. Pleased to finally “meet” you!

Arash Mazinani May 15, 2011 at 1:28 pm

Pleased to meet you too! I’m following you on twitter now thanks for your comment! Weird that he prefers jeans plus a tee and sneakers…I hope to see you around more often :-).

chouchou May 14, 2011 at 7:17 pm

normally, i don’t ask my boyfriend’s opinion, because i know what he likes and what not. so if i know in advanced that he will not like the particular piece of clothing, i won’t ask him ;) because if he would say “no” i wouldn’t buy it – so sometimes it’s better not to ask ;)
chouchou recently posted..fashion nightMy Profile

Arash Mazinani May 15, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Ha ha true… just buy for yourself, you’re going to be wearing it at the end of the day.

Kirstin Marie May 18, 2011 at 11:34 pm

I would have to say it really depends on what it is, and if he is shopping with me. I generally shop alone (I find it much easier & faster that way), but when we do shop together, if I find something that I know I would wear quite a bit, and he makes the “eh” face, I’m swayed to buy it. This is because I like to wear things that he likes. Don’t get me wrong, I do have some outfits and clothing items that he HATES. I guess I’d have to say that I like for him to like what I’m wearing. I know he will say something if he doesn’t, as I would do the same with him. If he really hates something, I won’t buy it, unless I REALLY, REALLY like it.

Excellent post, Arash :)
Kirstin Marie recently posted..Colors that sparkleMy Profile

Arash Mazinani May 21, 2011 at 10:08 am

THanks for your commenting Kirstin Marie :-).

Cynthia May 21, 2011 at 11:49 am

It totally depends on the guy. I have occasionally had a man friend or boyfriend who is a sharper dresser than me. If I find their style inspiring, I’ll be more likely to listen. I’ve mostly dated physicists though and they are not the most stylish (or style-noticing) bunch. If some random middle-aged bro in baggy chinos and a baseball cap tells me he doesn’t like something, well, I take that advice for what it’s worth.
Cynthia recently posted..Friend Friday- Blogging pet peevesMy Profile

Arash Mazinani May 25, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Ha Ha I loved your comment about the middle aged guy in chinos and baseball cap, it made me chuckle. But I can totally understand where you’re coming from with that.

heather May 24, 2011 at 2:29 am

HA! I always ask my boyfriend for his opinion especially when I’m trying to pick out my outfit for the next day. It’s usually options This one OR this one. And I don’t always go with his choices but I’m an indecisive person so it’s nice to get another opinion from someone else. When it comes to buying clothes sometimes I’ll ask him for his opinion but even if he doesn’t like something and I love it I will still buy it. I mean I wouldn’t wear my 5 inch heels or even own them if I listened to him. I think in the end that it’s nice to get an opinion and sometimes they do help you talk you out of buying something stupid but at the end of the day his opinion shouldn’t be the end all of be all. If you really want something or really love something and he doesn’t all well he’s not the one going to be wearing it. As long as your happy and you feel good in it that’s what matters.
heather recently posted..Outfit Post- A Little Rock and RollMy Profile

Arash Mazinani May 25, 2011 at 7:59 pm

ha ha I loved your comment about your 5 inch heels.