What Would Tom Ford Do?

by Arash Mazinani on April 19, 2011

A great guideline is WWTFD? (What WOULD Tom Ford Do?)

I loved this quote by Bella from the citizen rosebud. If you’re wondering where it came from, it was in reference to the post I did How Many Buttons Do I Leave Open On My Shirt? I decided I liked the quote so much that I’d do a full blown post on the subject, especially as I know how much some of my readers love Mr Ford. So what’s this post about? Well in the past I’ve written guides and how to’s on women’s style but this little nugget eclipses everything else I’ve written. It’s the one piece of information and mindset that you need to adopt whenever you face a style dilemma.

What Would Tom Ford Do? (WWTFD)

This is the magic question you need to ask yourself whenever you’re unsure about whether to buy that new pair or shoes or when you’re stood in front of your mirror scratching your head over an outfit. There is no need to ring your friend for her advice just channel that inner Tom Ford and ask yourself What Would Tom Ford Do? Would he give the go ahead to that dress, would those shoes get his nod of approval? Is that dress sexy enough to get a thumbs up? These are the sorts of questions you need to be asking yourself when faced with the toughest of style headaches.

Why Tom Ford?

I remember receiving some serious flak when I was featured on fashionlimbo by someone who left a commenting saying all I do is talk about Tom Ford. I think to date I’ve only ever written one post about Tom Ford in my ‘style icons’ series. So I know I risk being hated on again but hey ho… The reason it’s What Would Tom Ford Do and not say… What Would Domenico Dolce Do? is simply because Tom Ford must be one of the most loved men in fashion. Everyone seems to love him, not only that but he has a really great business knack as well as a keen eye for style. Everything he touches turns to gold… just ask the Gucci group.

Modelling

On a more serious note while the above was a little bit tongue in cheek there is certainly truth in it. If you’re familiar with the term modelling (I don’t mean walking down catwalks) it is an NLP term where you take a small part of something that someone excels at and try to mimic how they do it. So modelling someone who has a great belief and values on style is a fantastic way to improve your own style.

You could simply start by looking at his past collections and identifying themes running through them and posing yourself the questions? What makes it stylish?

Look at the way he puts the clothes together and how they work.

I know this sort of thing works as I’ve used it myself when I was developing my own style and still do.

So although WWTFD is a little bit tongue in cheek, it’s still a very valid question to ask when your struggling with your own style.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on Tom Ford and this post…

If you liked this how to guide why not subscribe and I’ll send you another one next week? You can subscribe by RSS here or subscribe by email by filling in your email address in the subscription box in the sidebar. You can also catch us on Bloglovin here.

Bella Q April 19, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Totally tongue-in-cheek and true on the spot at the same time! He has epic style and we would do better by as you put it, modeling Tom Ford. Cool, slick and sexy, Tom Ford really does offer a go-to guide on how to life style it right. It’s more than the perfectly tailored fit and exquisite choice of dress- it is the attitude and grace that comes with it. We need more Tom Fords and less Model-T’s

Arash Mazinani April 20, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Thanks for commenting Bella!

Eboni Ife' April 19, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Very nice! I have to say that being a fairly new fashion blogger, I can see my style starting to evolve. That can be a good thing or a bad thing. Because I am a fashion blog addict, I am constantly bombarded with portraits of “style” and sometimes I am compelled to step out of my lane. Now, on the one hand it is good to step out of your comfort zone and try new things, but what would Tom Ford do? Hmm, I’d say he’d probably allow himself to be inspired but he would ultimately remain true to himself and infuse whatever elements of the inspiration he likes into HIS style. Regardless of the inspiration, Tom Ford is always gonna give you unadulterated Tom Ford. That is not fashion. THAT IS STYLE!

Arash Mazinani April 20, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Thanks for commenting :-)

Fashnlvr April 19, 2011 at 8:21 pm

BellaQ has stated it so eloquently – I don’t know where to begin. First of all – no one should be hating on here – this is a “positive” site!! Why Tom Ford? He is Sexy as ever, has excellent taste, knows how to dress himself and create designs/clothing that makes women look and feel their best – hands down he is la creme de la creme!!

Arash Mazinani April 20, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Yeah the hate was on a different site… but like you said… positive site :-) Thanks for commenting Yvonne.

Casee Marie April 19, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Oh, I love it. WWTFD is totally my new motto. For me, Tom Ford is synonymous with innate style and, in terms of women’s fashion, this sort of high glamour that’s intricately crafted but effortlessly executed. What’s so wonderful about him is that it’s not necessarily just a type of style that inspires people, it’s more than that. He doesn’t make people feel like they have to change or conform to his look, instead he shows you how to give your own personal style the Tom Ford treatment. Excellent post!

Arash Mazinani April 20, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I was saying I should start the WWTFD hashtag on twitter ha ha. Excellent comment Casee thanks for commenting.

Madison April 20, 2011 at 1:14 am

Brilliant! WWTFD… I love Tom Ford, and the way that he inspires everyone by his sophistication and impeccable style. I agree with what everyone has stated above. I believe that he’s incredible influence for men & women & as you said, ” Everything he touches turns to gold…” :)

Arash Mazinani April 20, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Thanks for your comment Madison…. #WWTFD

Angga Heinrich April 20, 2011 at 2:17 am

WWTFD??? I dont mind if you talk about Tom Ford over and over again, I love him and I think he is one of an iconic style for men. And true I do that, if I go on shopping that come across my mind was what would look better in this what would tom ford put this on for his model or how he style it? it keep you intact of not over buying stuff LOL

Arash Mazinani April 20, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Lovely to see you again Angga.. thanks for commenting, I’m glad you don’t mind seeing posts about Tom Ford :-).

THE-LOUDMOUTH April 20, 2011 at 5:46 am

I love this! There are always gonna be haters out there… ignore them. Most people adore Tom Ford — and your readers adore you, too!!! Bella rules.

The-Loudmouth.com
Twitter @theloudermouth

Arash Mazinani April 20, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Ha Ha thank you… and thanks for commenting.

Beautifully Invisible April 20, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Well, everyone knows of my undying adoration for Tom Ford, so it’s no surprise that I adore this post as well. The WWTFD concept is – in a word – brilliant.

Tom Ford is the MASTER of style. His designs? Iconic. His sense of style? Uncanny and deliberate. His time at the helm of GUCCI? The stuff legends are made of. His attitude? Indescribable.

Everyone touched on it above, but the man is a powerhouse. He knows that STYLE isn’t just about wearing the latest fashions. It is so much more than that. It is about being comfortable in your own skin. It’s about attitude. It’s about wearing something that reflects your personality.

WWTFD? He’d say F’ the critics and be true to YOU.

Arash Mazinani April 26, 2011 at 1:04 pm

thanks for the lovely comment B!

Jenna April 21, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Psshh… I love Tom Ford’s designs/style. (Snarky commenters are bound to surface eventually, so whatever!)

For me, he can do no wrong sartorially. There are some people that just have that innate, natural sixth sense for style (Tom). Then there are others who have to work at it a little (…most of the rest of the world, right?). It’s totally fine to take a page out of gifted designers’ little books of fashion. For a designer, it’s obviously the sincerest form of flattery. :)

Arash Mazinani April 26, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Thanks for coming through and posting Jenna, nice to see you :-)

Jamillah April 21, 2011 at 10:56 pm

WWTFD!!! Bwhahahahaha…so good! There is so much humor in this take but also TRUTH! I agree with Casee Marie, there is something innate in his keen sense of style and what will be stylish. He is super polished but in a way that looks totally natural. I mean, how is that even possible?!

My gawsh, I’m still giggling on wwtfd…using it!

Arash Mazinani April 26, 2011 at 1:01 pm

glad you liked the acronym :-)

Lee Oliveira April 30, 2011 at 11:55 am

Tom Ford not only he is a truly genius but also a very intelligent man. My dream is to sit down with him and chat.. I would like to know whats goes on his head.
I have one of his old jacket when he was designing for Gucci and I will never let it go.
Lee x

Aquaruby February 14, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I’m a bit late to the discussion but totally agree! I found this article after my husband asked me about something he was wearing and I replied “Just ask yourself, what would Tom Ford do?” and then googled the question to see if there was a website of the same name. Sadly there isn’t but there should be :-)

Arash Mazinani February 15, 2013 at 8:47 am

Don’t worry about it, better late than never! Ha ha yeah it’s a pretty cool name for a website or a blog even. What did he decide Tom Ford would have done?