Bikini Basics

by Arash Mazinani on June 14, 2011

I don’t think I’ve ever done a post on bikinis before. I was racking my brain trying to decide what to write for this week’s post when my girlfriend suggested I do something on bikinis. I’ve kind of avoided underwear posts, which is quite remarkable considering how important underwear is to any outfit. I just checked, I wrote How to find the right bra almost a year ago. Now I know bikinis are not really underwear, however they are a very feminine piece of attire, something that guys don’t really have anything to compare with. Especially considering the whole bikini buying ‘experience’. The media love this time of the year because it’s the perfect time to slam bikini diets down your throats and pictures of perfectly bronzed models. While the odd photo of the bikini clad celeb with cellulite makes you feel a little bit better, there always seems immense pressure to a) have the body for a bikini and b) have the right bikini for summer.

Hopefully this little guide will help get your bikini search started in the right direction. Just like with any other outfit wearing the right bikini can alter how the eye perceives the body.

• Bust – If you’re looking to increase your bust size then you can look for styles with extra padding for a sexier look. Also details around the bust area will help bulk the area out so look out for ruffles and gatherings. If you’re looking for extra support halter neck styles are great you can also look for styles that have moulded cups to give added support with out padding.

• Hips – If you’re looking to emphasise your hips then a low rise bikini bottom will do the trick. Again details such as ties, rings or embellishments will also draw attention to the hip area. If you’d prefer to make you hips more slender then avoid any details and embellishment on your bottoms. Look out for tops that have details to draw the eye upwards away from your hips or bold colours that are paired with a solid darker colour for the bottoms.

• Legs – High waist bikini bottoms can help lengthen legs also look for bottoms with thinner sides.

• Waist – If you don’t have much curves then try and create some with different details such as bows, ruffles or a belt. A high waist with side ties will also lengthen the leg and give the illusion of a waist. If you’re concerned about your tummy but want to try a bikini rather than a one piece then you can try a tankini. Try and get one that show off the hip line for best results.

So there you have it a few basic points for you to take on your bikini shopping trip.

I’d love to hear you thoughts, do you have bikini shopping headaches? Do you feel pressured in to getting the perfect bikini body?

If you liked this how to guide why not subscribe and I’ll send you another one next week? You can subscribe by RSS here or subscribe by email by filling in your email address in the subscription box in the sidebar. You can also catch us on Bloglovin here.

THE-LOUDMOUTH June 14, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I’ve figured out what looks best on me: a Victoria’s Secret bikini top that has the support of a bra (to help out my ample bust) and a string bikini bottom (anything with elastic will cut into my love handles). I’m also looking for a high-waisted bottom to hold in aforementioned handles. The art of bikini shopping is knowing which parts of you that you want to show off and which ones you want to disguise :)

Arash Mazinani June 15, 2011 at 6:33 pm

That’s great that you have found what works for you :-). I think that’s the art of looking good full stop.

vik9 June 14, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Very touchy subject Arash haha, a lot of ladies are very careful about the padding because if they aren’t good quality they tend to really deform when the padding gets wet making you look like a well errrr tit? hehe

Liked your advice about hi leg etc though :)

Vx

Arash Mazinani June 15, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Touchy in what way…? :-p

Lauren Nicole June 14, 2011 at 9:02 pm

What about girls like me! I’m 5’4, 115lbs with a, wait for it… 32D bust! it’s almost impossible to find a great bikini top that doesn’t make me look like pam anderson! Help a big-busted girl out! lol I know you mentioned halters, but those get so boring. I love the look of a bandeau top but sometimes they lack support.

heather June 14, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Hi Lauren- my friend is shorter then you and has a big bust size too, she lives in Chicago and is lucky enough to go to the store but she shops at Linda the Bra Lady (where Oprah gets her bra from). They have lots of different style bathing suits and def. have ones that will totally support you (lots of underwiring). My best friend rocked hers when we went to Miami and she looked fantastic in it. They are expensive but having a bust size likes yours its well worth the purchase. Check her stuff out here: http://www.lindasonline.com/swimwear.html

Arash Mazinani June 15, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Thanks for the link heather!

Arash Mazinani June 15, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Check out the link above… now I’ll stop sounding like spam… Yeah you’ll need good support so look for good quality cups and possibly under wiring. Like you said beandeaus are probably not the best as they won’t provide much support.

heather June 14, 2011 at 9:37 pm

This is a hard subject to tackle……
To be honest a lot of padding in a swim suit for us ladies who lack in that area is a bad choice. It sometimes looks to weirded and they also easily fall out or get messed up (esp. the cheap ones and even the VS ones do). You have to be careful with the padding. Also not having a lot doesn’t mean covering it all up, halter tops that that have a little bit of a bottom support to give a lift works wonders. Having a small bust has its benefits like rocking the bandeau top, which its totally flattering on a small chest. For those looking for support look for wiring. Wired cups for bigger chested girls help, also thicker straps. Little spagehetti straps won’t hold anything up and will kinda look a bit tacky.
Like the trick about the legs! But you forgot about the bum! lol

Arash Mazinani June 15, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Thanks for the extra tips… yeah great point about the bum completely skipped my mind…my bad.

GRIT & GLAMOUR June 15, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Great tips! One tip I read years ago from Gisele Bunchen, I believe, was to go smaller rather than larger when it comes to string bikinis. It actually had worked for me…nothing worse than a saggy bikini bottom, or one that slides off in the water!

Yes, I feel enourmous pressure to have the perfect bikin bod. I had such a great state of fitness last year, but have gained some weight that I HATE. So I’m currently trying to esercise it off while my hubby is overseas!

Arash Mazinani June 15, 2011 at 6:41 pm

Again thanks for the tips V! Last holiday I gained weight from all the awesome food I was eating…took me a few months before I decided to start exercising again. I hope the exercise sessions go well.

FASHION TALES June 18, 2011 at 5:50 am

I take my swimsuit shopping so seriously.. I’m so picky, but recently found a few good styles that I love this year. I went for 2 halter bikini tops, But I also like to mix match colours & went for all solids this year. However, I love the bottoms of one of my last year’s version (w/ an added skinny waistband) so I will work it into this years bikinis as well.
There’s always a bit of pressure yes, to get that wanted bod, (I’ve been slacking on P90x) but- I still love swimsuits so much!
Madison

Arash Mazinani June 18, 2011 at 5:29 pm

How long have you been doing p90x for? I finished it about 2 weeks ago.

FASHION TALES June 18, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Months before I did 45 days, as I could not handle the 90shred (kuddos to those who can), but now only 2times a wk + pilates: so about a month. I feel there’s not enough time in my schedule like there used to be… lol

Jenna June 18, 2011 at 8:54 pm

It’s funny you posted this, because I DO HAVE BIKINI SHOPPING HEADACHES. I’ve literally been avoiding bikini shopping for the past three weeks, and thus have no tan because of it. I don’t know what it is, but I just can’t get into shopping for swimsuits. Maybe I will have to take your tips with me to the store the next time I make a bathing suit shopping attempt. :)

Arash Mazinani June 26, 2011 at 1:55 pm

lol good to see you again Jenna. You’ll have to take the plunge at some point otherwise they’ll be no tan for summer.

Karen Elizabeth June 19, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Like I said briefly on twitter I have massive problems with bikini purchases. Being so petite makes your hip bones stick out so I have to get just the right style or I look awful. Actually this year my bikini was from Animal and although slightly more pricey goes along with your post.. I went for the side ties to take the emphasis off my hips and it seems to have worked!

Arash Mazinani June 26, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Great to hear you got a bikini that ended up fitting you well.

perdita June 19, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I love mix-n-match ranges; I love a triangle bikini (feels lighter and vain I know but I like looking cleavage-tastic!) but due to generous-bust issues it lacks support for anything other than sunbathing, so I like to invest in matching underwired and a triangle tops that I can nip under a beachtowel and change in a flash if someone suggests volleyball or swimming!

I always used to labour under the misassumption that if you have a narrow waist and bigger behind short styles look good- magazines say this every year but they just cut me off and make my legs look short. Far better, I have found, is to buy the size up on a high-leg, so you feel secure your booty is covered but still have a high leg.

I prefer to buy mine from underwear shops/departments so that the knicker shapes and bras fit well and I know my size.

Arash Mazinani June 26, 2011 at 2:04 pm

lol there is nothing wrong with looking cleavage-tastic. Great tips and advice Perdita, thank you for your comment.

Jamillah June 21, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Oh bikinis…friend and enemy. I agree with the padding is a tricky situation in bathing suits. When wet padding can look terrible, so I agree with the above comment on a good under-wire. This principle actually goes for bandeaus too! I’m a 34 D and LOVE the way a bandeau looks on me, sizing down, and getting a bandeau with a good under-wire and a good cup size is the key.

Arash Mazinani June 26, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Thanks for commenting Jamillah :-)

High Waist Bikini March 28, 2012 at 2:14 am

Thanks for posting this, Arash and really cultivating the conversation. Another thing to consider is that no matter what bikini you get, it’s all about confidence. At the end of the day, you’re wearing the bikini for you and not the media that publish those “easy” diets.

Arash Mazinani March 30, 2012 at 10:39 am

Very true, it is all about the confidence!