Tattoos – Stylish Expression? Or a Step Too Far? Continued

by Arash Mazinani on March 29, 2011

You’re probably thinking “wait a minute, continued?” yeah I know this is the continuation of a guest post I did for ravingfashionista a while back. If you didn’t check out that article I’d recommend you go back and check it out, it’s a little 2 minute read. To summarise; I talked about tattoo’s being the ultimate accessory, however in a fast paced fashion world many I put off by the fact they’re permanent.

Going back to when I talked about heels and nail polish I got the impression that some of you guys enjoyed finding out what guys like on girls. I do like tattoos on women the more individual and stylish the better. I appreciate they have taken the time to carefully consider the piece and made the commitment to something they feel strongly about. However, I know this is not always the case which is why tattoos often get a bad wrap. The McDonaldisation of the process where you can go in and pick something off a board and have it done has put a lot of people off.

As I mentioned in the article on raving fashionista the fashion world has flirted with ink. Chanel released some temporary tattoos that were like transfers that were pretty cool. I’ve also noticed more models on the catwalks sporting ink.

The tattoo in my opinion is still one of the ultimate accessories. You don’t get more bespoke than ink and if you want something that will turn heads, get people talking and display your personality then look no further.

So one of my favourite things about blogging is the discussions that come out of the posts so I’d really love to hear your opinions on tattoos.

fuyume March 29, 2011 at 7:33 pm

i have a small tattoo on my ankle. ive had it about 5 yrs. its of a pentagram to represent the feminine force. i love it and it means something to me. unless im wearing a skirt no-one really sees it but thats fine by me :)

Arash Mazinani March 30, 2011 at 7:18 pm

Nice, I was going to post a pic of my own but then forgot lol

Vik9 March 29, 2011 at 10:33 pm

I would love to get a tattoo but i’m quite fickle and change my likes/ dislikes quite a lot so the idea of getting something permanent is very daunting and I haven’t found anything that i’ve loved enough to brand myself with it.
I love tattoo’s on men the more the better but that’s probably because of most of the guys i’ve dated with tattoo’s have been slightly naughtier than the un-tattoo’s blokes…….. bar one or two….. hahaha
I really liked Chanel’s tattoos but they were uber expensive!! I quite like the new tattoo style stockings/ tights trends with patterns printed on them :) Whose shoes are those in the top image though? me likey a lottie! Vx

Arash Mazinani March 30, 2011 at 7:20 pm

No idea on the shoes to be honest. I think that’s the issue a lot of people face, they don’t know what they want 100% so can’t commit to something. I love your rational for liking guys with tattoos.

Asteria March 29, 2011 at 10:59 pm

I have 2 tattoos (1 on my back, 1 on my right torso, exactly like the girl in your pic!). And I am on the same boat with you in terms of tattoos getting a tacky/bad reputation with its ‘drive thru’ system (come in, pick 1 you like, place order, go!). I have thought long and hard before I get any of my tattoos. It took me around 3 years to think about what I want, and whether I really want it. I got my first one when I was 19, it’s an original design created by the artist (I mentioned what I wanted and he drew it to my satisfaction). With the second one, I had this idea that I wanted to developed, I searched and googled for inspiration, and finally asked one of my best friend to draw it for me. I think it just makes it more personal and special, and of course, meaningful :)

Arash Mazinani March 30, 2011 at 7:23 pm

That’s awesome I think it’ always best when an intricate design is made rather than something just being picked.

GRIT & GLAMOUR March 30, 2011 at 1:24 am

Not judging, by any stretch, I like tattoos…just a few of them…ON MEN. If a woman has a dainty, feminine, discreet little tat, then no biggie.

I might catch heat for this, but the truth is I really do not like them on women. And actually, they are now so incredibly ubiquitous, they’ve lost their edge. I don’t mind them so much on the beach and with casual wear. But I personally think a woman with visible tats…in ab evening gown or formal wear? It just doesn’t work for me.

••V••
@gritandglamour

Arash Mazinani March 30, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Thanks for commenting V. I know what you mean about them being visible in a formal dress, however I still like them on women.

Kim March 30, 2011 at 12:30 pm

I have nothing against tattoos but probably will not get one myself, I can’t really decide what I want so it’s probably best that I wait until I’m really sure about it.

Arash Mazinani March 30, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Thanks for commenting kim.

Courtney | Those Graces March 30, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Personally I am anti-tattoo *for me* only because I know I would change my mind the second after I got it.

I think tattoos are nice so long as they’re not impulsive.

Arash Mazinani March 30, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Thanks for commenting Courtney, I think a lot of people are in your boat where they wouldn’t be able to decide on one particular design.

Bonnie March 30, 2011 at 7:43 pm

I am against tattoos for myself because I don’t want a permanent symbol on my body. I would be worried about getting tired of it or discoloration.

I think the “McDonaldisation,” as you called it, of the tattoo industry has ruined it for me and for a lot of people. It seems like everyone gets one, and they all look the same. Very few people put much thought into it. If it was taken more seriously, and as long as the person used it as a true form of expression, fashion, style, etc., then I am on board.

As long as the person doesn’t overdo it and look like Travis Barker.
That scares me.

Twitter: @GlamKitten88

Arash Mazinani March 31, 2011 at 5:24 pm

ha ha as if Travis Barker scares you lol

Vik9 March 30, 2011 at 7:58 pm

hahaha love it!! hmmmmm and piercings :) Vx

Katy March 30, 2011 at 8:42 pm

I have been toying with the idea of getting a tattoo for over a year now. And I agree, it needs to be something that would be unique and personal to me. I also would like to have it some where that I can easily show to people but also easily cover if the situation calls for it. (I’m thinking the wrist or foot.) My concern and what is holding me back is twofold. One – the cost to get a good one. I’ve seen some horrible tattoos that are the result of bad artists in cheap places. Two – the overall perception that a tattoo means the person is cheap or low-class. Ahh… the decisions.

Arash Mazinani March 31, 2011 at 5:26 pm

yeah definitely spend the money and go somewhere good. I think it’s one of those things maybe in the past tattoos have had connotations of being low class and cheap but they are becoming more and more mainstream.

Joy March 30, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Interesting discussion! I’ve been thinking quite a bit about tattoos lately because it seems everyone has them. I’m 41 and I see women my age and older with tattoos and I’m starting to wonder why I’m one of the very few that just doesn’t “get it.”

I’m not against others having tattoos — in fact I find them interesting on other people, not that it’s any of my business how others dress and accessorize!

Great post!

~Joy

Arash Mazinani March 31, 2011 at 5:26 pm

Thanks for your comment joy! :-).

Fashnlvr March 30, 2011 at 11:38 pm

I agree with Vahni about the visibility of tats and placement. I have two tattoos. Neither are visible, unless I am in swimwear or naked. I would never want mine to show otherwise. The first one I drew myself and pondered it for 3 yrs before having it inked onto me. Nine years later I got my second one. That one is a LunaMoth Fairy that I had an artist draw out just for me and I kept the drawing so it couldn’t be used again. I would never consider getting “flash” tattooed on my body – ever. I don’t understand why anyone would want something as personal as a tattoo to be randomly selected off a wall that anyone else could choose also. Mine have to be all about me. My husband has several different tats and they are all personal for him as well.
I think for women particularly there is a certain stigma about tattoos – even now that it has become more acceptable. So I say content is number 1 and after that it is all about location, location, location….

Arash Mazinani March 31, 2011 at 5:27 pm

Yeah I can understand about location especially for women being able to cover it up seems to be a key theme running through the comments.

Fabienne Jach March 31, 2011 at 12:11 am

Interesting topic. I never thought of tattoos as an accessory, I have six. Most don’t show, three of them I designed myself, all can easily be hidden if that’s what I choose to do and every single one of them holds significance to me. Some I’ve pondered for years before getting, others a few months.

My tattoos tell part of my story. I also happen to think they’re beautiful, I suppose I’d be in trouble if I didn’t think so! I don’t think tattoos are for everyone and I would never judge anyone by whether they had any or not, though I’d be likely to judge them if they passed judgement on me for mine!

I suppose that’s how it goes, yeah? Good food for thought, as usual, Arash.
xo,
f
The House in the Clouds

Arash Mazinani March 31, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Thanks for your comment Fabienne. Again similar to fashnlvr it seems like location is really key when it comes to women and tattoos.

Madison March 31, 2011 at 5:23 am

I like some tattoos on guys, although my bf has none. I do have one small one on my inner wrist. I’ve always wanted it there small & have no regrets… because I thought it out years before & it is significant.

It’s small where I can hide it when needed (corporate or formal events etc.) & I’ve seen huge ones on some women, but I personally would not go there. -xxoo
Ladyofashion

Arash Mazinani March 31, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Cool, small ones are sexy you’re right about corporate places that’s one place where visible tattoos seem to not be appropriate.

heather March 31, 2011 at 6:33 pm

yay tattooes! I have two tattooes and want another one. I have a few ideas in mind but can’t decide which one I really want more and where. Placement is very important esp. since I don’t want something to visible because some jobs won’t allow for visible tattoes. I think tattoes are a great way of expressing who you are.

Arash Mazinani April 1, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Ditto Heather! I have definitely learnt placement is key!

chouchou March 31, 2011 at 8:47 pm

i don’t have any tattoos, because i have no idea what kind of drawing, pattern, or words i would tattoo. i mean this decision is so huge, and i’m not sure if i would do that again 20 years from now. some people have fantastic tattoos, but i figured out it’s not really something for me. tattooing is art – and you have to live it if you have one!

Arash Mazinani April 1, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Certainly that’s one of the hardest things, deciding what you want!

Sarah April 5, 2011 at 11:57 am

Interesting post. In general I dislike tattoos, simply because so many are cheesey and generic. The tattoo of my generation was either a dolphin or tramp stamp (in a chinese symbol) and my friends who got those things back in the day hate their tattoos now! That being said I have seen a handful of simply breath taking tattoos that I thought were beautiful and originial, which added to the persons beauty instead of taking away from it.

Another thought about tattoos is that (this is what I’ve been told!) it’s like an addiction and once you get one, you want more. but it should be about moderation. I work with a girl, and she is a STUNNER, but she has 20+ tattoos and in the summer when she wears a dress or tank tops you don’t notice her beauty but her tattoos instead (she’s not alternative or anything, just a regular girl who LOVES tattoos). Oh and she’s getting her older tattoos changed because she hates them!

Arash Mazinani April 5, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Thanks for commenting Sarah and welcome to the site :-).

jenn~the stylish housewife April 7, 2011 at 4:41 am

i have three tattoos. one i love, two i would like to remove. the one on my foot is a japanese symbol meaning friends. it was chosen off of a board but me and four of my closest girlfriends all got it when we were in our early twenties. i am still bff’s with them to this day. even though we are all married and have kids, it reminds me of them and all of our wild & crazy days.

Arash Mazinani April 9, 2011 at 12:02 pm

What were the ones you want to remove?

Jamillah April 11, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I LOVE TATTOOS. But I don’t think I would really consider them an accessory, especially since mine are not really visible. I really value the beautiful artwork that is on my body and when ever I get a glimpse at my tattoos I really feel super happy that I have such a lasting expression of an idea that was in my head and then illustrated by an artist…I have 2 more tattoos that I want, but alas they are not cheap.

I totally get V and Yvonne’s point on how on evening wear it might not be the most appealing and that’s part of the reason I got mine where I did, but honestly if the tattoo is beautiful I love them in any kind of venue.

Arash Mazinani April 11, 2011 at 7:51 pm

That’s great to hear, I can see where you’re coming from about evening gowns and tattoos, I still think a really beautiful illustration can only add to the splendour. Thanks for commenting, I hope to see you around more often :-).

Jamillah April 13, 2011 at 4:30 am

then you will enjoy this lady: http://www.amandawachobtattoo.com/

OH! I’m just finding you from twitter :)- you’ll be seeing me! I’m like a comment stalker.

Arash Mazinani April 13, 2011 at 8:47 pm

cool i’ll check her out ooo I better make sure I follow you back :-)

Clarke April 19, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I’ve always loved tattoos and always wanted one. So much so that I’m scared to get one that I will hate. It is both the ultimate accessory and a potentially permanent fashion faux-pas.

Coincidently, have you done any other guest posts?

THE-LOUDMOUTH April 22, 2011 at 1:40 am

I’m deathly afraid of needles. I purposely lie to my doctor every time he asks if I’ve gotten my yearly flu shot. Truth is, I’ve never had one.

The closet I came to a tattoo was getting my nose pierced. I cried like a baby, but kept it in for three years. It was cute.

Then I had to take it out for my stupid airport job. Those bitches…

The-Loudmouth.com