Here Comes The Fuzz: The Truth About ‘Manscaping’

by Arash Mazinani on March 26, 2011

My last post how many buttons do I leave open on my shirt? Caused a bit of a debate amongst those that commented. It wasn’t so much about the topic in question but more to do with mens grooming habits. In one camp you had those that preferred men with no chest hair and advised those with to go down the waxing route. Then on the other hand you had those that loved a chest full of fuzz. As a guy it was a fantastic insight into women’s opinions on male grooming. Personally being half Iranian means I’m fairly hairy. When I was younger a girl once told me she preferred guys with no hair on them so my reaction to this was to painfully wax my chest, ouch! That was the first and only time I did that as it was too much of a chore, afterwards I just regularly trimmed to keep it neat. I’m sure many other guys have faced the dilemma and sometimes reading or listening to different sources can leave you with conflicting advice.

So I decided to write a short post just to kind of review all the options available to guys. I think the first thing to mention is if you’re hairless or you have chest hair it’s all good. When it comes to what women prefer on a guy then each individual is different some may prefer guys with out any hair while others may not.

Tom Ford Rocking 'The Fuzz'

The debate that was going on in the comments on the last post suggested that trimmed hair seemed to be an option that everyone agreed on. But the key thing is not to over trim as when it’s really short it just ends up sharp and spikey which no one will enjoy. So if you do have chest hair you should definitely embrace it if you want to keep it in check then keep it neat, don’t over trim and definitely don’t wax!

Bella Q March 26, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Just for the record, I am not pro-manscaping- I am against a hairy chest being advertised with a half-way down unbuttoned shirt. If I’m forced to see a half unbuttoned shirt, I think a hairless chest would be more tolerable, but under no circumstance is this an personal endorsement of making a man shave his chest. I just prefer discretion.

But I love the fact that you are stirring up more of what I can expect to be full of lively discussion about a, uh, hairy topic.

Arash Mazinani March 27, 2011 at 9:48 pm

As always thanks for your comment Bella, I understand where you’re coming from.

Tej March 26, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I remember the days of the ‘Denim’ advert on UK TV when it was acceptable and sexy to have a hairy chest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1ez6rNzXy0) and then into the era when guys started waxing their chests.

I went through a phase where I shaved the chest hair off. Haven’t done that in a long time as it would give rise to the stubble stage… uncomfortable for all concerned. Besides, it started to look strange with no hair on my chest and hair on my forearms – and if your removing forearm hair, you have too much time on your hands.

These days a mid length trim of chest hair is enough to avoid the ‘peek over the shirt’ from any stray hairs while the ‘trying to look pre-pubescently hairless’ look is thankfully avoided.

IMHO – primates have hair … get over it.

Arash Mazinani March 27, 2011 at 9:48 pm

I’m the same Tej, ha ha showing my age though never seen that advert before.

GRIT & GLAMOUR March 26, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Yay for Tom Ford and yay for chest hair!

Arash Mazinani March 27, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I knew you’d appreciate Mr Ford ;-)

Fashnlvr March 26, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I am with BellaQ on this one – I agree with her on the discretionary buttoning. I don’t mind chest hair at all. Shaving completely down is a no-no – the growing back in stage is like sleeping with a cactus. Tom Ford looks really sexy in the above photo. A little fuzz is totally cool.

Arash Mazinani March 27, 2011 at 9:47 pm

Thanks for your comment I think like V had said in the last post there has been a trend of people advising guys to wax it completely off. It’s always great to hear you comments though.

Fashion Limbo March 28, 2011 at 10:38 am

Nice and tidy, clean and trimmed, I think that’s the key. I do feel for guys that wax for their other halves or just not for themselves. I remember being REALLY naughty (kind of cruel I do admit it) when I started dating my current man, this was some years ago. I convinced him not only to wax, let me do it, and in a very hot flat in a very hot summer in Germany. Bad, bad, bad me, horrid me and will never do that to him or any other human being ever again!!! :P

Kim March 28, 2011 at 11:15 am

Hmm tricky, I don’t really like a hairy chest but I also don’t like it when it’s too trimmed! As you mention, it’s too spiky and looks weird (actually I have a friend who does this, that’s how I know :))
Luckily I don’t have to think about it too much since none of my boyfriends ever had that much chest hair :)

Arash Mazinani March 29, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Thanks for your comment kim :-).

THE-LOUDMOUTH April 4, 2011 at 1:59 am

I love a hairy chest! I think it’s so masculine & sexy. But more than two buttons undone and you belong in Jersey Shore…

Arash Mazinani April 5, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Good to hear more people in favour of hairy chests… lol about the jersey shore comment, valid point.

heather April 8, 2011 at 8:43 pm

It’s funny bc my bf has a hairy chest and he ALWAYS wears under shirts under his button downs. And he even trims it so it doesn’t peek out from under the undershirt, just in case. I def. agree with the idea if your going to show some fuzz you have to keep it cleaned up. You don’t want to look like a caveman. But either way hairy or not it honestly doesn’t matter to me.

Mathew O'Marah June 22, 2011 at 10:30 pm

As a male waxing specialist I have to say most guys (and girlfriends / wives of them) prefer their guys to have a smooth back and shoulders but a little bit of hair on the chest and abs. If it gets a bit Gorilla like then trimming down to a grade 2 or 3 with clippers usually gets it back under control!

The chest is probably the most painful area to have waxed for guys, and so many come in for a full torso wax, but after the back is done change their mind and have the front trimmed. And they leave preferring the look.

Mat

Arash Mazinani June 26, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Thanks for the insight, I can imagine the chest being really painful, ouch!