Who Else Wants The Definitive Guide on Spring Summer 2011 Trends? Part 1

by Arash Mazinani on January 18, 2011

Last season I wrote a trend guide for what was hot in autumn winter 2010. The guide was the result of my frustration of actually finding a definitive trend guide on the internet. Sure you can find pictures of entire collections from the spring summer shows. But actually getting a trend guide that had a bit of substance was quite difficult. This is something that has irritated me for a while, especially when I had to do trend assignments in my old job. So I thought I’d try and make it a little bit easier for my readers as the autumn winter 2010 trend guide proved to be quite popular. So you can save the pennies on the new season magazine specials and read on to find out the low down on the trends for spring summer 2011.

This is the perfect time to create your own look book if you’ve not yet made one. Just before the new season collections really take off. It’ll leave you well prepped and ready to shop!

1970s

Say goodbye to the 1980s and hello to the 1970s as the decades influence was the most strongly felt through out the spring summer collections. With big hair and even bigger flares the 70s disco diva influence could be seen in collections from Marc Jacobs, Louis Vuitton, YSL and Etro among others.

Marc Jacobs - style.com

Orientalism

There were some strong oriental influences in collections from Haider Ackermann some subtle nods by the likes of Hermes and Chanel. Kimono jackets, obi belts and paper bag that scattered the catwalk during the SS 2011 shows all helped eastern influenced pieces become a trend this season.

Haider Ackermann - style.com

Colour Punch

It may have been a dark and dingy winter but there is no denying spring summers fashion is going to brighten you up. There was a whole array of beautiful colours on the catwalk from gorgeous jewel tones to neon brights. The great thing is there a few different ways to wear it. For the daring layering up in bold clashing colour blocks such as red and pink. Or trying picking one colour and wearing it head to toe. For a safer alternative try wearing a shot of your favourite hue with white or neutrals.

Gucci - style.com

Great Lengths

This season it is all about the gorgeous rippling maxi gowns and long skirts. There is nothing more chic in summer than this, however this season they often revealed more than they covered. If you’re tall pick an ankle grazing length, for petite girls let it finish mid calf and if you’re feeling daring pick one with slash front to show off those pins.

Lanvin - style.com

Minimalism

I’ve coupled the minimalism seen at the likes of Calvin Klein and Max Mara with the White trend. White is always big come spring summer, this time around it came in the form of precision tailoring and simple evening gowns with almost a clinical edge.

Max Mara - style.com

Prints

Just like the dazzling array of colour on the catwalks for Spring Summer, prints were everywhere. The bigger and bolder the better they came in all types from animal at Burberry to geometrical stripes and oddly bananas from Miuccia Prada. Stella McCartney had fruit and there were butterflies at McQueen with inspiration drawing from the natural world.

Stella McCartney - style.com

Sports Couture

Ultra modern chic sports wear was a big trend this season, however it’s not about the overall look but more about the details. Focusing on zips, trims, hi tech fabrics and mesh inserts.

Marni - style.com

La Glam Punk

If you’re not a fan of all things sweet and pretty this season then worry not. There was still a bit of dark and edginess to the collections from the likes of Burberry, Balmain and Givenchy.

Givenchy - style.com

So that’s it for part one. I’ll be back with part two next week covering the the trends that I’ve not covered so far.

Here is part 2 of the spring summer 2011 trend guide.

Have you spotted any trends you cant wait for next season?

Which are your favourite trends?

Let me know by commenting below.

Jenna January 18, 2011 at 2:27 pm

There are some 70′s prints I just saw in–Marie Claire US?–that I was in love with. I might try a few of those out. Gotta also love that minimalistic creme palette and the color punch–simple concepts, but really chic/cool. Also, that Lanvin dress might have been my favorite look from any of the spring shows. It’s to-die-for, although I am sorta thinking it’d be one of those better-on-the-model frocks. But still–love Lanvin! Such a shame their H&M line proved to be a bust.

Heather January 18, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I’m loving all the looks for Spring! The colors, the crisp whites and minimal looks, and the long flowy skirts!!! Plus bringing back the 1970s is fantastic. I always was a hippie at heart lol

Madeleine January 18, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I’m craving the 1970′s. I am so excited about this trend. And color, I am so ready for color. I think it fantastic that color is being embraced and elevated.
-Madeleine

Nesha January 18, 2011 at 7:08 pm

I’m loving the spring/summer trends of 2011, especially the floor sweeping lengths (liking the Lanvin dress you’ve chosen for that section of this post), and the 70′s styles. I’m not very keen on all this cowboy stuff though. Fringing will never be in.

Nesha,

Tashrin January 19, 2011 at 8:48 pm

70′s….oriental influence….and gorgeous flowing skirts is all I’m seeing right now. :) Thank you thank you thank you so much Arash……I love fashion and looking at gorgeous creations….but most of the time don’t pay much attention to trends….once in a while when I want to your articles provide a great crash course. :)

Look forward to hearing from you

Love

Tashrin – A Toronto based personal style blog

Kim January 19, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Hmm not sure if I’m into them… I guess the ones that speak to me the most are the minimalism, prints and color punch. In fact, I love them :) The other ones are not so much my style. Cool that you took the effort to create this trend guide :)

fuyume January 24, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Obviously i’m really looking forward to the oriental trend. it’ll hopefully put the spotlight on Japanese fashion too!

kristy January 26, 2011 at 7:28 pm

so the looks you chose from max mara and lanvin were two of my favorites when i looked at the runways on style.com! i’m really loving the entire lanvin collection for spring. i want to drown in it. =)

i really love minimalism and great lengths. i think they are just beautiful. i like the idea of the sports couture, but personally i can’t really stand the marni collection. it’s a cool concept, but i feel like the execution was kinda “escaped from the loony bin” — but maybe thats just me. =P

you did a great job with this trend report!

Kristy Eléna – Full Time Fabulous
Vogue Gone Rogue
Twitter: @kristyelena

Arash Mazinani January 28, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Yeah the sports couture I think is one that’s going to probably stay on the catwalk you might get pieces incorporating the fabric technology because as you pointed out the collections are a bit ‘out there’.

Fee January 26, 2011 at 10:38 pm

Great Guide – so helpful as like you say, if you Google the SS11 trends you just get image after image of the whole collections. Not helpful if you are abit hopeless at style (which is sadly me).

Love the suggestion of a punch of bright colour with lots of neutrals – nice and chic. Also love that maxis will be in..so stylish and easy to wear.

Not too sure I’ll be sporting any bold prints though or sports wear however chic it is!

Fee x

Arash Mazinani January 28, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Thanks for coming through and commenting Fee, I have to say you have one of the best beauty blogs I’ve come across (as a guy lol). I’m glad you found the guide helpful I know how frustrating it is trying to find a quick and easy yet concise guide on trends.

Sarah {Raving Fashionista} February 18, 2011 at 7:33 pm

There’s a lot of looks I’m loving for spring, but I’m especially excited about 70s style and maxi skirts and dresses!! I love, love, love easy and flowy pieces.